My friend, MJ over at emjayandthem, posted this Christmas meme on Thursday. A meme, in the blogging world, is a topic that spreads from one blogger to another. I thought this looked like fun, so here’s mine:
1. A Christmas song I can listen to even in June is: Kenny & Dolly’s “I’ll Be Home With Bells On”. That has to be my favorite Christmas song; there’s no way I can keep from tapping my toes when I hear it. I bought a Kenny & Dolly Christmas cd just for that song, because you NEVER hear that one on the radio.
2. Hot chocolate, eggnog or mulled wine? If I HAD to choose, it would be hot chocolate. But I seldom drink anything hot, and have never tasted egg nog nor mulled wine.
3. When do you put your Christmas decorations up? It’s usually around the first week in December. Putting candles in our windows is the first thing I do.
4. What are you having for Christmas dinner? Dinner with my in-laws will be fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, green beans, devilled eggs and some sort of pie. No, I don’t have to prepare all of that: just the eggs!
5. What’s your favorite Christmas tradition? I suppose the closest thing we have to a Christmas tradition is Marshall visiting on Christmas night, when we exchange gifts.
6. Have you ever gone caroling? Yes, I have, and it was SO much fun! Years ago, a group from our church would pile in the back of a “box-type” truck every year just before Christmas. Bales of hay were placed around the sides of the truck for seating, and we’d drive all around to the homes of the elderly and shut-ins. Afterward, a couple in our church would have refreshments in their home for all of us. I have some special memories of those times.
7.When did you discover the truth about Santa? (I loved MJ’s answer to this question: “I don’t know what you’re talking about“.) I didn’t have a defining moment when I realized. I think it just became apparent at a certain age.
8. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? The decorations on our tree definitely fall under the miscellaneous category. I have everything from new glass ball ornaments – to crocheted snowflakes and angels I made when Marshall was a toddler – to paper ornaments he decorated with glitter in elementary school – to ornaments I’ve bought on trips with Motor Man.
9. What’s the best thing about Christmas? I would say spending time with family, but we’re fortunate to be able to do that year round. So I think the best thing is the “good” that Christmas brings out in people.
10. All I want for Christmas is ……. (it’s a secret, but Santa already knows!)
If you’re a blogger, perhaps you’d like to play along with your own Merry Christmas meme. For my non-blogging friends, if you’d like to respond to any of the above questions, feel free to do so in the comments.
And Merry Christmas!